Do you ever look at yourself from the outside? Really see where you are? Stump your own psyche with all kinds of deep what’s-the-meaning-of-life-and-the-world questions? My over-analyzing personality makes me prone to this kind of behavior anyway, and with my (im)pending birthday, this lovely habit of mine shifted into overdrive.
I don’t usually get too worked up about birthdays, but for some reason this one has me thinking more. Maybe it’s because last year’s was such a special one. I turned 33 on March 3. 33 on 3-3 – must be magical, right? It did bring an exciting year – married fabulous Toby, had an awesome party, quit my job, sold my house, moved to Germany, jumped careers. That’s a lot for 34 to live up to….
But, before I get carried away on that tidal wave of thought, let me return to the topic at hand. I thought I’d share a few recent observations, things I wouldn’t have been able to say about myself just half a year ago:
- I think it’s ‘warm’ enough to leave the windows in the apartment open for hours at a time; it’s 48°F outside.
- I wish it would get cold again so I could wear my super warm, super hot boots some more.
- I don’t spend enough time with people during the day.
- I miss my hair dresser, and not just for the good scalp massage and great hair cut but because she had a quirky, refreshing way of looking at things.
- I spend an inordinate amount of time in my pajamas on some days – have I become a bum?
- I eat less sweets (chocolate müsli doesn’t really count – it has oats, and hazelnut bits…).
- I can drink a lot more Prosecco than I thought.
- I love skinny jeans, but I hate squeezing myself into a sweater with anything more than a tank top underneath.
- I’ve driven a car no more than 5 times in the last 7 months (and that’s counting the go-kart at the race track).