Cold beverages and a late summer sunset
While my sister and I came into this world as undeniably cool little people (pictures don’t lie, we were really little), our development into the dazzling women we are today can be attributed to several factors including the Dirndls in our closet, the Beatles music rocking from our tape deck, and our eclectic movie education.
Let’s skip the Dirndls and Beatles for now and go straight to the movies. I herewith present to you the Top Ten Best Movies of all Time, according to me, plus a few favorite quotes that not only pepper our conversations but most likely influenced the very (fabulous) style with which we communicate.
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1966)
- The gods are awaiting her. They would be angry if we sent up a smoked virgin.
- Stand aside everyone. I take large steps.
Start the Revolution Without Me (1970)
- I thought it was a costume ball!
- To pull the tail of a lion is to open the mouth of trouble and reveal the teeth of revenge biting the tongue of deceit.
Blazing Saddles (1974)
- Excuse me while I whip this out.
- My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.
Young Frankenstein (1974)
- Look at those knockers!
- With such a specimen for a body, all we need now is an equally magnificent brain.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
- I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
- That’s no ordinary bunny!
The Gods Must Be Crazy (1980)
- Does the noise in my head bother you?
- I’m normally quite normal.
Romancing the Stone (1984)
- That was the end of Grogan…the man who killed my father, raped and murdered my sister, burned my ranch, shot my dog, and stole my Bible!
- I can’t hurt my favorite pig!
- C’mon Mikey, give me a lickery kiss!
- I know when my stomach growls there’s trouble.
Princess Bride (1987)
- I’m not a witch. I’m your wife!
- There’s a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours.
- It’s my industrial-strength hairdryer, and I can’t live without it!
- Prepare ship for ludicrous speed! Fasten all seatbelts, seal all entrances and exits, close all shops in the mall, cancel the three-ring circus, secure all animals in the zoo!
On a related note, our dollhouse was stocked with original Star Wars action figures. C-3PO and R2-D2 could often be found having tea by the pool with a duck, and the Millennium Falcon was parked ‘out back.’ I told you we were cool…