Here I go again, talking about the weather. I can’t help it. It permeates every minute of my day, every cell in my body, every fiber in my down jacket. It always has. I just didn’t realize it until I moved to Düsseldorf – while Phoenix has its own weather, it always played more of a supporting role.
In Düsseldorf, on average, no month has less than 14 days of rain. 14 days! Compare that to Phoenix, where, on average, no month has more than 5 days of rain. What was it that Dorothy said about not being in Kansas anymore…?
So, in the spirit of open-mindedness and adaptation, I polled some friends and compiled a list of what there is to like about gray, rainy weather:
- always having something to talk about
- drinking coffee or hot chocolate, which tastes even better on a cold, rainy day
- the wrinkle-fighting benefits of moist air
- taking advantage of a free bike wash
- jumping in the puddles with rubber boots (and the kids)
- the promise of a beautiful, green spring
- the beauty of big, fat raindrops seemingly made especially for us
- clean, fresh city air
- staying home where it’s warm and cozy
- having a good excuse to stay on the couch on a Sunday
- going for a refreshing walk in the rain
- really appreciating a beautiful day when you get one